Followers

Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Touch of the Orient

Greetings!  Thank you so much for stopping by my blog.  My post today is for our new challenge at Fashionable Stamping Challenge, which this time around is to make a project with an Asian theme.  I have always been attracted to Asian-style stamps and papers due to the fact that my son at an early age decided he was in love with all things Japanese.  Now, in the early - mid 80s, there was no internet, no cell phones, or personal computers.  Our only source of feeding his inspiration was to look for television shows or magazine or newspaper articles on Japan.  Ironically, a young man at church, with a similar interest to my son, made a connection in Japan, and lived there for many years.  Long story short, a Japanese family whose business was teaching English, brought many of their students over to spend three weeks with church families.  Our whole family was immersed in the Japanese culture over the next decade with many visitors to our home and to this day we stay in touch via FaceBook!  The young man from church would send my son age appropriate Japanese text books and by the time he entered college to study Japanese, he advanced out of the first five classes of Japanese, and the University created new classes for him specifically!  There is much more I could share, but I know your time is limited, so on to my card.  The images used on my card are by a sadly, now defunct company called Art Declassified.  All were stamped with Black StazOn Ink or Barn Red Distress Ink.  Simple gold thread embellishes the card, along with some handmade paper I folded into paper fans and wrapped with gold paper compliments of a Blog Candy win from Gabrielle.  I hope you will pop over to see all the mouthwatering inspiration pieces my Design Team Sisters have created, and I hope you will also give the challenge a go yourself for a possible fabulous prize.  Thanks so much for dropping by today.  Best wishes, Yvonne

10 comments:

Terry said...

What a great story to go with such a great card! Lovely background and images! Love those fans! Enjoy!

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Yvonne...The bamboo feel to this card is so different, and works fantastically with these colours. Love the card that you have made!!!
Great elements with the thread and the fan
Dot x

Shirl said...

Such a beautiful story Yvonne and your card really shows how much you love this theme. Such stunning fans you have made, also it's a shame the stamp is discontinued it is gorgeous.

Hugs Shirley x x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A beautiful card, love the fans.

Meggymay said...

Your card is beautiful, loved reading the story, love the bright red you used for the fans.
Yvonne x

Claire said...

Gorgeous card Yvonne, love the black and white with that pop of red and the fans are stunning. I love the story, it makes this an even more special card
Claire xx

Mrs.B said...

Loved the story you shared with us Yvonne, and I love those images on the card, the black/white with the pop of red, stunning.
Avril xx

Ephemera said...

Hi Yvonne, I would love to visit Japan, what a fabulous story you've shared. But even more fabulous is your card, so stylish and beautiful. I love that stamp, shame the company are no longer going. I might have a look on eBay, to see if I can find any of their stamps. XX

Ellie Knol said...

A beautiful card! I love your use of colours for this particular theme!
xxx Ellie xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvonne
There is a beautiful contemporary feel to your card and the composition is stunning.
What an interesting story and it is fascinating that at such a young age he was attracted to Japan, the culture etc and that passion is still with him.
Thank you for sharing your creativity and your family's story.
Wishes
Lynne