Followers

Friday, July 19, 2013

Remembering the Yellow Jackets of My Youth!


Greetings!  Thanks for dropping by today.  Just a quick post for the current Alpha/Dictionary Challenge at The Craft Barn where the letter this time is "Y" with a twist.  We need to include yellow on our project.  Unfortunately, I missed the previous challenge of "B" while traveling about, but hopefully I can catch up with that one too.  Since my name begins with a "Y" and I once had "Y" as a nickname where I worked, I looked forward to working on this challenge.  While browsing through the dictionary, I came across the word "yellow jacket."  Seemed fitting!  As a child, yellow jackets seemed to be drawn to me.  My dad would tell me to sit perfectly still and not show my fear and they would not harm me.  Didn't always work!  But, today, I am for some reason drawn to "bee" images.  I love them.  And so, I chose to use these bees and bee hive by Character Construction.  They are the closet thing in my collection to yellow jackets.  Behind the letter "Y" I matted the letter with a piece of white card stock that I stained with Squeezed Lemonade Distress Stain. I just received a number of bottles of DS from The Funkie Junkie Boutique and must say that for small projects, I will never need to worry about having the right color of card stock on hand again. Amazing product!  The hive and bees were water colored with Distress Markers and, also new to me, I added a touch of Gelatos! I must be very far behind, as I only learned of Gelatos this week.  I have been studying online tutorials and cannot wait to really give them a "go!"  Well, must run.  Have a big weekend planned with family and lots to do before then!  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  Hugs, Yvonne

10 comments:

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a beautiful card.

Kay Wallace said...

I love it, too, Yvonne! And, yes, it certainly brings back memories here, too! By the way...any chance you can add a "follow by e-mail" option on your sidebar (through BlogSpot) so I don't miss these great posts? ;-)

trisha too said...

Perfect "Y" piece, Yvonne.

:)

Michelle said...

Yellow jacket! How fun! I really like this. I have a "thing" for bees? :)

Kay Wallace said...

Just signed up to "follow by e-mail"! ;-)

Laine Kammeraad said...

Hi Yvonne - love your card. You did a great job and I love the touches of yellow as well as the bees. Boy oh boy did your post about yellow jackets bring back childhood memories for me too. When I was around 6 or 7 years old and my brother a year younger we were visiting our grandmother. She hung our PJ's on the line to dry after washing them. When it was bed time she took the PJ's off the clothesline and the minute my brother put on his bottoms he started doing a happy dance. Actually it was a screaming dance and our grandma grabbed him and yanked his bottoms off. Yep you guessed it - there were quite a few yellow jackets camped out inside his PJ's and he was bit numerous times. Still makes me squirm when I think about it and yet a part of me was glad the yellow jackets didn't choose my PJ's instead.

Thanks so much for leaving a sweet welcome back comment on my blog - it means a lot of me. Looking forward to seeing what else you create.

With smiles

Laine

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful!
Yvonne, thank you for joining in with my Giveaway. Good Luck.
Wishes
Lynne

carolfromkiwiland said...

Loved your story of yellow jackets but I did confuse myself because I was thinking of yellow raincoats and couldn't make the connection initially (bit slow I know). Then I remembered stories I had read in the past and it all came together. Lol. So, cool page and I hope you can catch up on the letter 'B'.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful Y page - really nice!
sandy

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn
Izzy